Friday, September 30, 2005

Appreciation

The sunset was beautiful this morning. I caught a glimpse of it as I was getting breakfast ready. The sky looked like it was on fire. I took out my camera and grabbed a couple pictures although I know that they won't do it justice. And just as quickly as it appeared, it was gone and the sky turned blue, setting the stage for a gorgeous fall day. God the artist was out in full force creating this transient masterpiece. I very rarely have the opportunity to appreciate a sunrise. How many people this morning in their busyness missed this one? Yet God still creates for those of us who take the time to appreciate.

I am still working on the same two books. "Memories of Hawthorne" is nearing the end of Nathaniel Hawthorne's life. I don't necessarily understand everything they are talking about (after all the book was written over 100 years ago and culture has changed a bit to say the least), but I have been enjoying soaking up another time period, reading about literary legends who really, at the end of the day, were just people like you or me.

I took a walk to a local store tonight. It was so good to get out and soak up the crisp fall air and clear my head a bit! Three teenage girls were at the checkout counter when I was paying for my purchase. They were talking about their mothers and how annoying they were. I wanted to say something about how in five years they would feel differently, but I knew they weren't ready to hear it. I think it was Mark Twain who said that he left home at 18 and felt his father knew nothing. When he returned at 21 he was amazed at how much his dad had learned! The same goes for mothers and daughters, all the more so once we have children ourselves.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...