Monday, April 13, 2009

Living Faith out Loud

This comes from the April 2009 issue of U.S. Catholic in an interview with Sean P. Reynolds, Director of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry:

The hope is that faith is so much a part of your life that you can't help but bring it up at the dinner table. You end up talking about what happened in the news or praying for people who are sick and hurting.

What would it be like for your sons and daughters if, instead of hearing the "Today Show" when they wake up in the morning, it was quiet and you were sitting on the couch with a candle lit and scripture in your lap, meditating?

What would it be like if your son or daughter saw you doing Christian service regularly and not just because you have to as a parent to get your kid there?

I call it living faith out loud. Not letting it be a secret, but living it openly at home so your young people catch it, learn it, ask about, grow in it. That's how faith gets in them.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I realize this so much more now. This was my first year to send one of my children to a formal school. I've been a homeschool mom and we always had a prayer time together in the morning. I like to sit on my sofa in the mornings with my little meditation books now. I will add this candle too! That is a beautiful idea.

I have also tried to do ministry, but not regularly in that it was only once a month or so...I am now adding visiting the nursing home and also calling a handicapped woman and offering to do some things for her, so the youth see my actions..not to brag..but to live the life more that God has called me to do so that they see the faithful of the Church I want them to bring to heart ...do what they say ... what they preach.
Good post! :)

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...