Tuesday, October 22, 2013

On Photography and Moments of Beauty

I recently picked up The Unforgettable Photograph: 228 Ideas, Tips, and Secrets for Taking the Best Pictures of Your Life. This is a great book for amateur photographers - light on technical jargon, it is designed for those who use point and shoot cameras or smartphones but who want to take better, more interesting photographs.




In it, George Lange writes, "Photography is . . . all about moments. . . .It is about appreciating all the beauty and passion and love in our everyday lives. It is about seeing that even the most mundane detail can be extraordinary and full of feeling."

The world is full of moments of beauty. We simply need to pay attention and take note.

This is one that I found recently. Almost every day, I drive by this tree and for at least a month, I've commented to myself that I needed to take a picture of it. Last week, I finally stopped my car in the middle of the road (no one was behind me) just long enough to snap a photo. Sadly, it didn't come out as well as I might have hoped, but as a symbol of beauty it still works. A tornado ripped through this area a couple years ago. Many of the trees still bear the scars, including this one, but it still looks so proud, stronger because of the pain it has been through.


No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...