Thursday, January 25, 2018

Ways to Help Cope with Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D.)

If I had my way, I'd skip from mid-October to March each year. The days are too short, the weather turns cold, the ability to get outside is limited. I feel like a plant that has gone to sleep for the winter. I feel depressed and discouraged, especially once the Christmas lights have all been put away.

Compounding this issue is the fact that my oldest son has inherited this tendency as well. So, as Mom, I need to help him get through these days that I'm barely getting through myself. I have the advantage of years of experience and the wisdom of knowing that spring will indeed come. He lives in the teenage moment of now when everything seems overwhelming.

We do have some ways of coping . Everyone in the house takes Vitamin D supplements, with my son taking the highest dose. My best friend very thoughtfully got me a Nature Bright Sun Touch Plus Light for Christmas which both my son and I have been faithfully using each morning and which does seem to be helping a bit. We make sure to get regular exercise. And of course, there is chocolate!

I recently came across this great infographic from BetterHelp.com which help explains SAD and what to do if you or someone you love is suffering through these dark months.





No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...