Tuesday, April 14, 2020

What to Do on Divine Mercy Sunday


Divine Mercy Sunday (the Sunday after Easter) is my favorite liturgical feast. I've always loved the opportunity to have my soul wiped clean and all eternal punishment (purgatory) taken away. In usual years, obtaining this generous grace from God involves going to Confession and receiving Communion on Divine Mercy Sunday with the intent of receiving God's mercy and forgiveness.

This year, those conditions obviously present a problem. How can we fulfill the requirements with no hope of receiving either of those sacraments?

Fr. Chris Alar of the Marian Fathers has the answer. He says we can receive those graces by making an Act of Contrition (with the intent to go to Confession once we are able) and a Spiritual Communion. You can find out more by watching the video below. I'm also including the prayers for your convenience.


Act of Contrition

My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things.

I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.
Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In his name, my God, have mercy.

Spiritual Communion


My Jesus,
I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart.
I embrace You as if You were already there
and unite myself wholly to You.
Never permit me to be separated from You.
Amen.



No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...