Monday, November 23, 2020

Things I am Thankful For, Even in 2020

 


Usually in November, there is an abundance of gratitude on social media. This year, with few exceptions, that hasn't been the case. The stress and strain of 2020 has many people feeling less than grateful. Even our Thanksgiving dinners will be different from year's past. Old traditions will be adjusted. Gatherings will be smaller. It's understandable that many people aren't feeling thankful.

And yet, even in this messy, miserable year, God is present and deserves our thanks and praise every day. So, here is my personal list (in no particular order) of what I'm thankful for in 2020.

1. Family

2. Friends

3. Going to Church and Confession (yes, I'm happy to go even in a mask while social distancing)

4. Home

5. Food

6. My dog Chewie (my long-time best canine friend) and the hamster Hermie (who is a new addition to our family this year)

7. Curbside library pick-up

8. Warm blankets

9. Heat / Air Conditioning

10. Books

11. Restaurant take-out

12. Ice cream

13. Chocolate (12 and 13 could count as part of food but, in my world, they deserve their own category)

14. Internet

15. Social media (at least some of the time!)

16. Amazon (not only because I order lots from them; I also earn money from them)

17. Art supplies

18. Homeschooling (I've never been happier to be a homeschooler as I have been this year)

19. Flowers

20. Sunlamp (which helps me survive the dark days of fall / winter)

21. Modern medicine

22. Essential workers

23. Streaming television/movie channels

24. Memory foam mattress

25. Board games

26. Grocery stores

27. Toilet paper (this probably wouldn't normally be on my list, but in 2020, we can all agree it has taken on a new importancce)

28. Blank notebooks/journals

29. My car

30. My health

31. Work (and the people who hire me to edit or write for them or buy one of my books)

32. Communion of Saints (where would I be without my heavenly friends?)

33. Clothing

34. Smartphones

35. Texting/Messaging (an introvert's best friend)

36. Spellcheck

37. Google

38. Museums

39. The birds and squirrels that come feed on my deck

40. Good neighbors


What's on your list?


(Image by hudsoncrafted from Pixabay)


No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...