Monday, March 14, 2011

Prayer of a Teenager

My older son is turning 10 soon, and I was looking for a prayer to say with him to help him discern what God wants him to do with his life. At Bible Study the other day, I came across this prayer in a book we were using.

Dear Lord, I'm approaching the age where I am thinking more and more of what you are calling me to in life. I thank you for the gifts you have given me and ask that you give me the strength and direction to use my gifts to their fullest. Help me never to be lazy or indifferent, rather to always desire to serve you.

Lord, to what are you calling me? Do you want me to be a teacher, a coach, a cook, or a carpenter? Am I to serve you as an executive in an office, a salesperson, in the field of medicine, manufacturing, a homemaker, or something else? Are you calling me to be married or single? Help me, Lord, to be open to whatever vocation you are calling me to including the special vocation of priesthood or religious life.

Ultimately, Lord, I know that you want me to help make the world a better place, a more holy place in whatever profession you desire for me. I can only do that if I walk with you. I know you want me to be happy in my life's work and I confidently prayer that you will show me the way. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...