Friday, June 24, 2011

Getting Ready for the Next Year of Homeschooling

With the New England Catholic Homeschool Conference happening tomorrow and my talk all prepared (finally!), I spent tonight planning the curriculum for our next year of homeschooling. I want to go tomorrow knowing what I need to buy. It's hard to believe that this will be our fourth year of homeschooling and that my children will be doing 5th grade (they are close in age - technically my younger son is a fourth grader, but we do everything together, except for math in which case the rising fourth grader is already 1/4th of the way through the fifth grade book - homeschooling allows for flexibility!).

I am an eclectic homeschooler. I don't follow one curriculum. Rather, I pick and choose from what is out there. The choices can be overwhelming, but I adjust even with what I choose from. Homeschooling allows for individualization. If a skill is already mastered, we can skim over it. If we need to spend more time on something, we can.

I really do love our homeschooling life and I am looking forward to the coming year, AFTER this beautiful season called summer break!

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...