Thursday, August 04, 2011

Embracing a Simpler Life

I recently received an offer in the mail for a free issue of MaryJanesFarm: The Everyday Organic Lifestyle Magazine. While it didn't seem like anything I would be particularly interested in, I have a couple of friends who I thought would enjoy it, so I ordered the issue, figuring I could pass it on.

The issue came in the mail today. I'm a compulsive reader so I couldn't just pass it on without reading it first! Plus, you just never know where you might find something to blog about. And sure enough, here is a suggestion from Joanna, a MaryJanesFarm reader from New Hampshire, we can all make use of:

Old Fashioned Fun Day/Night

Pick one day or night to do things the old fashioned way . . . use oil lamps for lighting, make dinner on your wood stove or over an open campfire, play board games, read a great novel . . . you get the idea. If we all do that four times a month, it will save us four days' worth of electricity use.


Now, I must say, I'm quite fond of electricity, but I'm happy to live without technology for a day a week (computers, cell phone, tv, etc.) and enjoy the simple pleasures.

Overall, the magazine itself is very attractive and well-written with articles on homemaking, crafts, farming, and profiles of people making a difference. I enjoyed reading the issue and will happily pass it on to my friends tomorrow.

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...