Friday, January 06, 2017

Why Be Catholic?

I love this quote by Matthew Kelly in Decision Point:

Sure, some churches might have better music, but in the whole scheme of things music is trivial compared to the Eucharist. Other churches might have more engaging preachers, but these are trivial compared to the Eucharist. When we go to Mass on Sunday the danger is in thinking that the music and the homily are the most important things. Don't take the trivial and make it important. . . 

At Mass on Sunday, the homily could be in a language I don't understand, the music could be a complete train wreck, there could be kids running up and down the aisles screaming at the top of their lungs, throwing crayons and eating snacks (or eating crayons and throwing snacks), and that's OK - because the moment when I receive the Eucharist is a pivotal moment in my week. It's a moment of transformation, a moment when I get to receive who and what I wish to become. And I could never leave that. It doesn't matter how good the music or preaching is elsewhere; I cannot leave the Eucharist. I will not leave Jesus. I hope you won't either. . . 


This sets the Catholic Church apart: Jesus truly present in the Eucharist. The Eucharist is uniquely Catholic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patrice Fagnant-MacArthur said...

Thank you for your comment. I think what Kelly was saying is that the Eucharist is what sets us apart from other Christian churches. The Word of God is extremely important. The homily is not essential to the Mass ( only necessary to be given on Sundays and Holy Days), but is a useful teaching tool. However, all Christian churches have those two features. The Eucharist as the true Body and Blood of Christ is unique to the Catholic Church.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...