Monday, July 27, 2026

The Little Rose That Could

 

I live at the end of a little dead-end street with only a few houses. For the past few years, the house at the other end of the street has had a beautiful front-yard garden of rose bushes. The breathtaking blooms always made me smile as I walked by.

But this year, I was sad to see someone has been mowing the yard and rose bushes every few weeks. My teen daughter thinks the woman who cared for them moved out, and the man left behind doesn’t want anything that reminds him of her. Whatever the reason, the rose bushes keep growing a few inches and then getting cut down to little stems.

But the other day, I was walking my dog early in the morning and noticed, against all odds, that a red rose was blooming on a tiny little bush. I admired its beauty and snapped a photo to preserve it for posterity. 


One of the themes in my house this summer has been perseverance. I have a chalkboard in my kitchen where I write inspirational messages and “Don’t give up!” has been up there since the start of June. But that little flower embodied that message better than words ever could. You can bloom even when all the odds are against you. God can bring a moment of beauty when you least expect it.

No comments:

The Little Rose That Could

  I live at the end of a little dead-end street with only a few houses. For the past few years, the house at the other end of the street has...