Thursday, March 05, 2009

Seeking the Bread of Life

This is an excerpt from today's entry in Living Faith

Ask and it will be given to you . . .Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asks for a loaf of bread, or a snake when he asks for a fish? Matthew 7:7, 9-10

This passage can be extremely unsettling when we ask and do not receive what we ask for. . . We seem to be handed a stone instead of bread, a snake instead of fish. If we would not do this to our children, why would God do it to us? We ask to be kept safe, but we are broken open.

Only slowly have I realized that it has been in that breaking open that I have come closer to God. It may not have been the bread that I asked for, but it was the Bread of Life.

- Patricia Livingston

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...