Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"A Mother's Tale"

In the September - October 2009 issue of Home Education Magazine L. Hartman wrote an article I think most homeschooling moms (or stay-at-home moms) can relate to. Titled "Defining Ourselves: A Mother's Tale," she tells of feeling less than valued. I really wish there was a link to this article on their website, but sadly there isn't. So, I will leave you with this excerpt:

Homeschooling has been many things - difficult, delightful, exhausting, enlightening, boring, brilliant, and constant - but it has not always provided me with the cultural validation that I seem to crave. Intellectually, I know that my choice to stay home with these people was the right one - worthy, fulfilling, and successful. Emotionally, however, I react to a culture that doesn't really value mothering - a culture that asks "What do you do?"

Hartman goes on to describe how she was jealous of a friend of hers who was so successful - who worked and had a family and did both well (I know I have been there), but then she comes to find out that this friend is actually envious of her life.

I laughed and told her of my own envy. It seems almost petty now, a decade later, but that was all that I needed. To have her - or anyone outside my family - see the value of my work, the beauty in it, re-energized me and reminded me why I was where I was . . . Both [my friend] and I came away from that night seeing the value and the beauty in our own choices, and we were both better for it.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...