Friday, January 22, 2010

Why I am vocally pro-life

Guest Post by Christine Hebert who blogs at As My World Turns

I am pro-life. I have always felt that abortion was wrong and that I would never have one, but at one time I did not think I had the right to tell anyone else what he or she could or could not do. Then I had a miscarriage.
Losing my first baby early in pregnancy made me think, “What if I can never have a baby?” I became acutely aware of how much pain there was in the loss of a child. I felt despair and hopelessness. Well-meaning friends and relatives told me, “You’re young. You can have another baby.”

Only two people looked at my loss as a reason for grief. I am still grateful for their sympathy. That loss changed me. I began to realize that babies, like the one I had lost, were killed on a daily basis. Others referred to these unborn as “a blob of tissue,” but I knew they were children. The abortion procedure, with its horrific list of side effects, was down played as safe and easy. I became angry at the lies foisted on women.

We will never know the potential of all the babies whose lives have been lost to the legalized murder of abortion. We cannot know the effects on all of the women who have had an abortion. We do know, however that many of these women regret their “choice.” They long for a chance to make things right. We must offer our prayers for these women.

When I had been divorced for a couple of years, I was not living my faith. I became pregnant. There was never any doubt in my mind that I would have the baby. I did consider adoption, but ultimately decided to keep the baby. She is a great source of joy in my life. She is a very vocal pro-life teen now.

She recently thanked me for having her. She wrote to me, “You could have had an abortion but you didn’t.” The irony in this statement is that when I was pregnant, someone told me something similar, “You could have had an abortion. No one would have known.” There is no truth to the statement, “No one would have known.” I would have known and God would have known.

2 comments:

not a minx, a moron, or a parasite said...

Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Great post. Bravely and passionately stated. I wholeheartedly agree.

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...