Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What is the History of Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament


As a child, I was introduced to Eucharistic Adoration at The Mother of God Monastery in West Springfield, MA. The monstrance was beautiful, part of the grille separating the chapel from the cloistered nuns on the other side (see the photo). My mother would tell me how there was always a nun on the other side praying in front of the Eucharist every hour of the day and night.

With the exception of Holy Thursday, however, that was the only time I ever experienced Eucharistic Adoration. In recent years, it has become much more common to have Eucharistic Adoration as part of a parish's liturgical life. My own parish has it every Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. I love to stop by when I can for a few minutes of prayer. Perhaps someday, life will allow me to devote more time to the practice.

U.S. Catholic has an interesting explanation of the history of adoration of the Blessed Sacrament:
What is the History of Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament?

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...