Monday, February 24, 2014

Advice for Teachers of "Difficult" Kids with Aspergers

David is in 7th grade this year (how is that even possible?) which means that high school is looming heavily on the horizon. He knows his chances of success in a traditional high school aren't good, he wants to be homeschooled for high school and I'm happy to do it. The problem? All of his friends are going to traditional high school. We've been blessed with a great group of friends to travel this homeschool journey with and I know that it is possible for them to stay friends (one of my best friends is someone I went to school with from 2nd - 8th grade), but the reality is that people tend to associate with the people they see on a daily basis. He doesn't want to have a friendless existence and I don't blame him for that. People, especially teenagers, need friends.

He does have extra-curricular activities he enjoys, especially his drama classes. I know that there will be increased opportunities to volunteer places once he is in high school, and maybe, if all the stars align, he can get a job when he is sixteen. But, will it be enough? Will he have friends? I look at the high school options and wonder . . . and I have no idea what to do. We have about a year to make a decision. Lots of prayer is in my future. Lots of prayer is always in my future, and in my present. God has a way of always keeping me on my knees.

This article offers advice teachers of kids with Aspergers and it is a good one: http://www.myaspergerschild.com/2014/02/understanding-your-difficult-aspergers.html , but I read through all the issues and my heart sinks. We've been fortunate to homeschool, to minimize the stress somewhat, although certainly not totally. Today was the first day back to school after a week vacation. Can we say meltdown central? But, we got through it, and tomorrow is another day. How would that possibly work in a traditional school setting? For now, I have more questions than answers and there are no easy solutions.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...