According to their website,
FrancisCorps is a 50/50 experience. It’s 50% about the wonderful service you will do to serve the poor. But it’s also 50% about the experience of community that you will share with the other volunteers in your house.
Saint Francis and Saint Clare both believed that it is necessary to have a solid experience of community where you share your day, your prayer, your life with one another. It’s here that you will grow and stretch. It’s this natural human “give-and-take” where you meet Christ. It’s this experience that gives you what it takes to serve others.
In order to do this FrancisCorps volunteers commit themselves to:
- Eat at least one meal together, daily,
- Pray together some form of prayer, daily,
- Love one another by sharing their day’s journey, daily,
- Celebrate community night with a co-minister, weekly,
- Share in a community meeting, weekly.
FrancisCorps volunteers participate in 6 retreat experiences:
- August: Orientation – Introduction to FrancisCorps and the persons of Francis and Clare of Assisi
- October: Fall Retreat – theme: community dynamics
- January: Re-Orientation – Review of Goals and Objectives, further learning about St. Francis
- March/April: Lent Retreat – Personal Growth and Spirituality
- June: Summer Retreat – Franciscan Values for life
- July: Transition Retreat – Reviewing the year and saying Good-bye
To find out more, please visit: http://www.franciscorps.org