Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

And so we mark another trip around the sun. Usually the new year finds me with some optimism, or at least curiosity of what the year holds - all those blank calendar pages just waiting to be filled. But this year, I feel somewhat melancholy, acutely aware of the passage of time. David will turn five in three months and will be starting school this September. I have to register him this month and already I feel a little ill. Where has all the time gone? I try to treasure all my moments with my boys, but I admit by 7:30 pm, I am often exhausted by them as well and only too happy to tuck them into bed. Yet all those days of getting up and changing them and cleaning bottoms and fixing meals and playing have passed in the blink of an eye.

My grandmother used to say that "life is like a dream" when you look back. I think she was right. All the memories sort of merge and you look back and wonder "Did that even happen?" I know that 2006 will bring new memories, hopefully more good than bad. I just hope that somehow the time will move just a little bit slower and that I will savor it just a little bit more.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...