Saturday, January 07, 2006

Thinking about Women in the Church

Due to budgetary limitations, the way I choose books to review for my site is one of two ways - either an author sends me a copy (I love this!) asking me to review it, or I pick something up from the "new" shelf at my local library. There have been times when I have read a book and found myself somewhat ambivalent and not gone on to write the review, but most of the time, I really find something of value in every book. We all hold the spirit of God within us and I am consistently amazed by the way that spirit manifests itself in various writings. It is like each person who commits herself or himself to following God has some kernels of truth about the mystery of God and if we put them all together we get a more full picture of who God is.

The most recent book I am reading, however, is giving me much heartache. It is not, however, a book about our relationship with God, but rather a book about our relationship with the institutional church. Angela Bonaviglia describes herself as an "itinerant Catholic." She still identifies with the faith, but like many, has been disheartened by the recent sex abuse scandal and the poor treatment of women by the male hierarchy. In "Good Catholic Girls," she profiles women who are working to change the Church.

Obviously the Church needs some changing. There is no place in the priesthood for child molesters or those who use their position of privilege and power to take advantage of women. Bonavoglia dedicates a chapter to discussing how the media has largely ignored the number of priests who have abused women sexually. All of the stories are truly troubling. I hurt that my church has done this. She makes the contention that had their been women priests, there wouldn't have been an "old boy's network" that shifted these priests from parish to parish. Women would have protected the children. That is a very interesting viewpoint and one I had not previously considered.

I know that women are not equal in our church. I would like to see women at the altar. I think women are needed to minister to other women in the sacrament of reconciliation. Much as women often prefer a women physician, one should not have to share sexual sins with a member of the opposite sex. While the priest stands in the place of God, he is still human. Bonavoglia tells of many women who went to confession to tell of sexual abuse by a member of the clergy and were told that their sins were forgiven!

While I can agree with much that Bonavoglia has issues with, I draw the line with some of it. For example, while she acknowledges that abortion is a difficult issue even among reformers, she seems to advocate for those who want it to be an option. I know that there are heart-wrenching circumstances - situations of rape, incest, etc in which one cannot throw stones at an already beaten woman choosing that option, but even then, it is still the taking of a life. I also acknowledge that if abortion were illegal, women would still get them, albeit under less safe circumstances. But I am a mother. I know what it is to carry a child and have them grow inside you. They are alive long before birth and I don't know how anyone can justify the taking of that life. Bonavoglia makes the argument that the Church allows murder in some instances - i.e. in war - that there are cases when life has a relative value. She is correct - there is inconsistency in that position but shouldn't the answer be to condemn war, not to take the lives of additional innocents. The Church should instead offer support to unwed pregnant women (and there are many organizations that do) so that abortion would not need to be an option.

On other less-divisive topics, I also find myself troubled. She discusses the Church ban on artificial contraception. I acknowledge a woman's right to choose contraception - although I myself use natural family planning and present that topic to pre-cana couples at my Church. I have difficulty with understanding a woman's fertility as a problem to be fixed rather than something to be understood and cooperated with. I also know that there are times when it is best not to conceive a child and that there are husbands who would not be willing to make the monthly sacrifices that NFP requires. It is a difficult situation.

Bonavoglia also discusses divorce and the annulment process. There are times when divorce is the only option. I'm not going to dispute that. She maintains that the annulment process is invasive and that women should not have to submit themselves and their former marriages to that level of scrutiny. I'm also compassionate to those who marry outside the Church after divorce and still seek to be a member of our faith. Pastorally sensitive practices should always be in place. But marriage should be forever. That is what the Bible tells us. The fact that it often doesn't work that way doesn't mean that the ideal should be tossed away.

I'm only about half way through and I must admit that this book has given me much to think about. I'll write more about it once I am done.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...