Saturday, January 21, 2006

Tears from Heaven

"You have fed them with the bread of tears
and given them tears to drink in ample measure" Psalm 80:6

Joan Chittister, O.S.B., who coincidently enough was one of the women profiled in "Good Catholic Girls", wrote today's reflection in "Living Faith":

"Without tears, change may never come because the loss may never be acknowledged. Tears release us from the past. . . What gushes out of us in a torrent of tears has no more power to control us. . .Tears cleanse and rinse and irrigate our souls so that new life can flow."

I have been known to shed a few tears. Bernie used to tell me that I "leaked." I cry less than I used to. Less to cry about mostly, but also the realization that tears don't change things as much as action does. However, there are times when tears provide a much-needed emotional release. There are situations I seemingly have no control over that bring me to tears. There are times when one needs to grieve, not only for people, but for situations and experiences. I'm glad that God gave us the ability to cry, to wash ourselves clean, to start again fresh.

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...