Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A Solo Mass for David

Bernie and I take the boys to mass every Sunday morning which is always an adventure. Every once in a while, however, it is a pleasure to go by myself and actually focus on the liturgical celebration instead of whatever trouble my children may be causing at the given moment. Tonight I had that opportunity. My boss called earlier today and said I didn't need to come in tonight. Bernie and the boys still had their weekly date at Grandma's house for supper so I had a couple hours to myself and my parish has a Tuesday evening 5:30 mass. It's a short liturgy - 15 minutes, but it felt good to check in with God. I offered it up for David as he starts school next Tuesday and for me to accept that reality as well as I should.

I've been stressing so much about him starting school and it isn't even that I'm going to miss him (which I will). I'm just concerned that he isn't going to be able to cope and that every day he will cry and I will have to force him to go like I did with swimming lessons this summer and quite frankly, I don't have the heart for it. Two weeks I could survive - 9 months I can't do.

Academically, I think he will be fine. He knows his letters and numbers and after 7 months of practice can write his whole name. He just started learning to read - the lightbulb suddenly went off last week and little words started to make sense to him - it was wonderful to experience! But I worry about bathroom issues because he still asks for help sometimes and they aren't going to help him. I worry because zippers and buttons and snaps still give him a hard time. They said he had to be able to tie his shoes which we have practiced and practiced and he almost has it figured out. To be on the safe side, I got him velcros! I'm also worried because he likes to talk so much. In the afternoon they have a half-hour rest period in which they are supposed to lay down and be quiet. I don't think David has been quiet for a half-hour since he learned how to talk!

So, prayers are needed, for my son to be brave and for me to be calm, and hopefully all will go well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear how David's first day of school went! Keep us updated.

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...