Thursday, July 26, 2007

Being Flexible with the "To-Do" List

I had such plans to get work done tonight, but then six-year old David just couldn’t get to sleep. He has been doing better “being brave” lately and falling asleep without my sitting in his doorway freeing up more time for me to work on the computer. Tonight, however, the bad dreams were in full effect and falling asleep took an hour. My first reaction was to be annoyed (although I did not tell him that), but then I realized that there was nothing I could do about it. I make use of my time in the doorway reading or praying so it isn’t time wasted. But even if I had nothing better to do than simply sit there and rest, being there for my child when he needs me is more important than anything I need to get done with the computer. Oh yes, the work still needs to get done, although some of it will certainly be pushed until tomorrow. Sometimes, being productive means doing what is most needed, not what is first on the “to-do” list.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...