Thursday, April 08, 2010

Graceful Dying

Cheryl Dickow has shared a beautiful story on Catholic Exchange today about dying gracefully, in a way that the secular world would probably reject: Graceful Dying: The Gift of Allowing Others to Care for You. Death doesn't necessarily scare me. I know it is part of life and necessary to gain entrance to whatever lies beyond. Yet, I do fear all that may come before. I am a very self-reliant, private person. The idea that I may face long-term incapacitation before God finally calls me home is very scary. I don't think anyone wants to have to face the reality that others might need to care for them.

I try not to worry about it. After all, it is one of those things that I can't do anything about. I hope if the day comes, I can realize that I am still fulfilling God's purpose for me, that perhaps I am there to help someone else on their spiritual journey, while my own suffering helps me with my own.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...