Thursday, September 09, 2010

Nice Statue of Mary

I went for a visit to my alma mater yesterday. It was an obligatory one - it is once again reunion time for my class and I am one of the class agents, but I am always happy to go back for a visit.

Before my meeting, I had a few minutes so I stopped by the chapel to pray and rest a bit. I said a few prayers and then got up to leave, but felt like God was asking me to stay a bit longer. (Seriously - I had walked half-way down the aisle, when I turned around and came back and sat down again.) While sitting there, my eyes wandered over to this very small statue of Mary (about 10" tall, if that) standing on a pedestal over in the corner. I went over to it and took a closer look. I really liked it. I like the simple depiction of a peasant girl holding her son (Jesus is actually moveable - the two sculptures are together but separate). I don't think anyone had paid much attention to that statue in a while. I brushed off a couple cobwebs and tried to dust it a bit. The plaque in front of it had a woman's name and the year '16. I don't know if that statue was made by that woman or donated by her. In either case, it brought me some joy, and how surprising it was to find it and pay attention to it on Mary's birthday.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...