Thursday, April 28, 2011

Do You Need to be Set Free from Stuff?

Boxed In: Do You Need to be Set Free from Stuff? by Bryan Cones is a Lenten article, but it is relevant every day of the year. He tells of needing to store half of his belongings in a storage center while his house was being renovated.

"I lived for a year without half my things, and I never really needed them. . . Why was I keeping all this stuff? . . . As I looked at my books and papers - almost all of them from my seminary and theology school days - I was surprised by my own unacknowledged sadness. Most of that library was a collection of dreams unfulfilled . . . There was regret, disappointment, even a sense of failure that I hadn't lived up to expectations. And as long as they were there in front of me, living where I live, I wasn't going to move on."

What things are you holding onto that keep you from moving forward?

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...