Monday, January 28, 2013

Set the World on Fire

Every now and then, I'll come across a quote in more than one place within the matter of a few days. I usually take that as a sign that God is trying to tell me something. Last week, this was the quote that kept finding me:

"If you are what you should be, you will set the whole world on fire!" -St. Catherine of Siena 

Ok, so obviously I am doing something wrong, because I haven't set anything on fire. At best, I'm a little candle with my little light flickering, and I'm fighting hard to keep it lit. But, still I feel like I'm where I'm supposed to be at the moment and I do the best I can. 

If you are struggling to figure out what God wants from you, Catholic Digest has some recommendations in their January 2013 issue on books to aid discernment. 

These books are: The Messy Quest for Meaning: Five Catholic Practices for Finding Your Vocation by Stephen Martin. It focuses on the questions, "What was I put here to do? And how do I do it?"

 Surrender! The Life Changing Power of Doing God's Will by Fr. Larry Richards. Fr. Richards teaches readers how to hear God's voice and discover His will. 

LAST CALL Twelve Men Who Dared Answer by Ronda Chervin shares the vocation  stories of twelve men who entered the priesthood later in life. 

Tuning In to God's Call by Fr. Andrew Carl Wisdom and Sr. Christine Kiley is filled with reflections, prayers, and tasks to help readers determine if God is calling them.

 

2 comments:

Karen Ford said...

Those books all sound great! Fire can have different results. The fire of your love shines in your children and in your writing. Your spark inspires others around you in countless ways you can only imagine (like one little writer friend who greatly admires your work).

Patrice Fagnant-MacArthur said...

Thank you :)

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...