Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Spending Lent with St. Faustina

I mentioned a while back that I have responsibility for the library at my parish. I've been trying to spend about an hour a week going through the books, weeding out those that are on theologically shaky ground or are no longer relevant, and making sure all the others have been appropriately labeled and shelved.

When I was there last week, I came across Diary of St. Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul. I've been wanting to reread this. It has been a few years since I last spent some quality time with it and I know what a life-changing book it is. What better time to do that than Lent?

St. Maria Faustina Kowalska was a simple, uneducated Polish nun when Jesus chose her to be "the secretary of My Mercy." In her diary, she recorded the words Jesus spoke to her as well as her own spiritual trials and observations. She was canonized by Pope John Paul II in the year 2000.

I started reading the Diary a couple days ago. My plan is to share a quote from the book for each day of Lent and the Easter Octave until the feast of Divine Mercy Sunday. If you haven't already, I encourage each of you to read the full book. It is a modern-day spiritual classic.






No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...