Friday, September 05, 2008

Reluctant Catechist

I found out today that I am going to be teaching 3rd grade CCD this year. I had to sign the boys up for CCD this year because David is making his first communion and we are homeschooling. We are doing religion at home, but I figure it doesn't hurt to have the reinforcement, plus it is another way for them to be with other kids. So, I offered to help, as I had done two years in the past. The emphasis is on help. I was an assistant. I passed papers, got supplies, helped with crafts. These are things I can do. I can teach adults and work with children on a one-on-one basis. Me in front of a classroom of children is a disaster. I know because every time I have tried this it has been a complete disaster. I thought I had adequately conveyed this to my Director of Religious Education, but apparently there must have been a lack of volunteers because now I am in charge of this 3rd grade class and I have a fifteen year old helper (no doubt she could probably teach it better than I can!).

Well, I figure God must want me there for a reason - more lessons in humility perhaps? I will pray and do my best and that is the most I can do. CCD starts September 21st!

1 comment:

mrlincoln said...

Patrice,

God calls us often to bear upon a path that we may not understand or think we are not ready to take. However, God would not set this task within your reach if He did not believe you were qualified.

Believe that He will bring you the confidence needed to bring about this job.

Yours in Christ,

John.

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...