Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Simple Christmas Pleasure

For days (weeks maybe), I've been longing to play some Christmas music on our piano. Now, I am not a good pianist. The extent of my skill is to hammer out one note of the melody at a time, yet one can recognize the tune (despite the occasional clunker note!) and this simple action gives me such pleasure.

I finally had the opportunity to indulge today. Playing the piano brings back such wonderful memories from my childhood of playing the organ while my older sister played guitar, and the simple melodies do help to up my Christmas spirit a few notches.

The piano was a Christmas gift a few years ago - given by a friend of a friend of a friend who was moving and had no use of it. We had to pay the moving costs and tuning costs, but it was ours and I was thrilled to have it. I dreamed that my boys would someday play beautiful music on it. Alas, that hasn't been the case. Unfortunately, it mostly sits unused. I'd like to think that it was happy to be played a bit today, and as I played, I wondered about the people who had played it before me. At one time, it must have been used quite a bit - the keys are quite worn in places.

In any event, that was my simple Christmas pleasure for today. Perhaps I'll get another chance to play a carol or two amidst the busyness of the next few days. I hope that you get a chance to do something you love to mark the season as well.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...