Thursday, December 02, 2010

Some final thoughts from "The Confessions"

I did finally finish The Confessions of Saint Augustine . I'm pretty sure that one could spend an entire life studying the text of that book. No doubt some people have.

In any event, here are some parting thoughts from St. Augustine.

Everywhere we find that the more pain there is first, the more joy there is after.

Indeed, Lord, to your eyes the very depths of man's conscience are exposed, and there is nothing in me that i could keep secret from you, even if I did not want to confess it. I should not be hiding myself from you, but you from myself.

So it is not certain that all men want to be happy. Those who do not want to find their joy in you (which alone is the happy life) certainly do not want the happy life.

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...