Tuesday, December 07, 2010

What would life without sin look like?

Tomorrow (December 8th) the Catholic Church celebrates the feast of the Immaculate Conception. When I went to the vigil Mass this evening, our priest spoke about how being born without sin was a privilege given to Mary. She didn't have to ask for it. Unlike when the Angel Gabriel arrived with his life-changing news, she didn't need to say "yes."

Obviously, I wasn't so privileged. I can't feel too badly about that. After all, Mary was unique in that regard. The rest of us have to suffer with sin and it's consequences.

Nevertheless, the feast does have me pondering the question: What would my life look like if I had never committed a sin? I honestly don't know. I can safely say, it would be radically different.

What if I had never told a lie? Always obeyed my parents? Never felt jealous? Was never proud? Never experienced lust? Never committed a sexual sin? Was always the perfect parent? Never acted out of any motivation but love?

Because I am human, I have made a whole slew of mistakes. God has brought good out of some of them. Still, it is hard to imagine my life without its corresponding failings.

Heaven will have no sin. We will all be perfect. All of our weaknesses will be wiped away. Can you even imagine that? No more mistakes. No more failings. How cool is that?

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...