Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Are there toys in heaven?

David has been very interested in death lately and what happens to you after you die. Death is part of life and I have never tried to shield him or his brother from the subject. I think the first conversation we had about it was when David was only 2 and his great-grandmother passed away. For a very long time I have told him about heaven and how it is a wonderful place. Very recently I introduced the idea of hell and the devil and how you don't want to do bad things because you don't want to end up there. He is beginning to reach that age of reason - where a person knows what is right and wrong and can make the correct decision or feel bad when he doesn't. He knows about the Commandments and that when we do something wrong when can tell God we are sorry and He will forgive us.

As much as David knows that heaven is a wonderful place, he never-the-less had some hesitancy about going there: "I don't want to go to heaven because my teddy bear and my Weeble tree house won't be there!" I assured them that there are toys in heaven. Now, of course, I don't know if that is the case or not. I do imagine for the children who have passed on, God would allow their heaven to include their favorite teddy bear. Hopefully, by the time David makes that journey to the other side, he will be much older and will not be concerned with his toys as much.

It is an interesting question, though, in thinking about heaven. What will we do there? Will we have jobs or hobbies or our favorite books to read? It is hard to imagine a life with none of the objects we hold dear. If God in His infinite creativity created this world, I imagine heaven holds even greater wonders. With God's grace, I hope that someday I find out!

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...