Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A Clean Heart Create in Me, O God

I went to my parish's Penance Service this evening. It has been a year since I last went to the Sacrament of Reconciliation and was obviously overdue. The way they work it is to have a Liturgy of the Word service including a homily. The priests (approximately 20 of them) are scattered throughout the Church. The penitents then line up and as you get to the front of the line, you take whatever priest is then available, unless, of course you are waiting for someone in particular in which case you can step to the side and wait for your chosen priest to be available. I usually leave the priest choice in God's hands and I take whomever is available.

This evening's priest of choice told me I should start going to confession every two weeks, or at the very least once a month. He told me that a regular confessor could really help me in my life. Now, before you get any ideas, it wasn't that my confession was so heinous he felt that I was in need of immediate remedial action. He recommends this to everyone. I know it is something I should be doing. Usually I leave confession feeling completely unburdened. Tonight, I feel like I have an assignment and that I need to take this next step in my spiritual development. At the very least, I definitely have something to talk about at my next spiritual direction meeting.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...