Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Year!

When I was younger, I used to embrace a New Year with such enthusiasm. As a child, New Year's Day meant parades and a trip to my Aunt's house for great food and games. As a young adult, I would get together with friends New Year's Eve and stay up until midnight to count down with the ball. Now, firmly settled in adulthood and parenthood, I have to admit I will be asleep at 10 pm tonight and will quietly mark the New Year by changing the calendar that hangs on my refrigerator tomorrow.

Yesterday, I took out that new calendar and completed my annual tradition of copying over all the important dates to remember - birthdays and anniversaries and such. I also wrote down doctor's appointments already made for the beginning of the year as well as reminders to bring the cars in for service. It always jogs my memory as I flip through the pages of the old calendar. 2006 was not an easy year. My father had cancer (and thankfully recovered well). My nephew attempted suicide. I attended three funerals in June. David started school. On the plus side, some new career opportunities did open up for me, the children have continued to grow well, and I made a couple of new friends. I feel like I have deepened in my spiritual life as well.

As I look ahead to 2007, I no longer see a New Year as a fresh start. I know that tomorrow really won't be all that different from today. It's more of a reminder that time is passing and I need to make the most of it. I hope 2007 brings many blessings. I wish the same for all of you.

No comments:

Three Works of Reparation and Why They Matter

  The Catholic Encyclopedia defines reparation as “the making of amends for harm or damage done to another person.” When Christ died on t...