Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Wedding

With Valentine's Day coming up, I decided to indulge in a romance novel. I was on my out of the library on Saturday and I saw "The Wedding" by Nicholas Sparks (www.nicholassparks.com) laying on a table. I love his books. I read "The Notebook" back in 2000 and couldn't put it down. I finished it in the parking lot before going to work one morning. I just sat there with tears streaming down my face! I followed that up with "Message in a Bottle" and "A Walk to Remember," both of which also made me cry.

While my husband firmly refers to all of these books as "chick-flicks," Sparks does have a way of tugging at the emotions. Bernie even teared up at the movie version of "The Notebook." (Although he did say that if I wrote that he did, he would vehemently deny!)I liked "The Wedding" which centers on the troubled marriage of one of Noah and Allie's children after the end of "The Notebook" because it dealt with a relationship within a marriage. It dealt with people struggling to rekindle the spark after 30 years of marriage and without giving anything away, it does have a happy ending which like his other books did leave me crying. It is so nice to read about people working to keep their marriage alive, that it is possible to have romance within a marriage, even after that many years. Marriages seem so disposable today and this novel helps to work against that trend. That in itself makes it well worth reading. It was also just a wonderful way to lose myself in a story for a while. Every now and then it is nice to do that.



2 comments:

Bernard L. MacArthur said...

To set the record straight:

I had dust in my eye and had to wipe; it was not tears.

I liked "The Notebook" for two reasons: Rachel McAdams and James Garner... One is hot and the other is an incredible actor; I will let you decide which is which.

Unknown said...

Oh Benie. We all know you cried. Patti - I didn't even know that book existed. I am going to get it and read it. I have been looking for a new book. Yes, I do read. And I loved the Notebook.

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...