Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Choosing Focal Points

I have always admired people who had a single-minded focus. They knew what they wanted to do in life and then went out and did it. This was not me. I have had a somewhat eclectic life. I have a B.A. degree in Art and History, both subjects that I loved. I have a Masters degree in Theology, another subject that I greatly enjoy. My jobs over the years have included cashier, art framing shop consultant, graphic artist, secretary (yes, I did actually make coffee!), Coordinator of Weekend College, Coordinator of Data (I'm not kidding - that was actually my title), Academic Adviser, web designer, technical consultant, writer, book-keeper, child advocate, and of course, mom. Now, lest you think I suffer from a serious case of job-hopping, I actually worked many of these jobs concurrently on a part-time basis.

I have spent years trying to find that "one thing" I could be great at and really devote my life to. I have come to the conclusion that is just not my destiny. I'm good at a lot of different things and I like variety in my life. The truth is that there is many other people like me in the world. In her book, "Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One," Margaret Lobenstine suggests that multi-interest people choose four areas to focus on. These areas, appropriately enough, are called "focal points." These focal points are not fixed in stone and can change over time as new interests emerge and old ones fade. The goal then is to devote some time each week to each focal point.

Lobenstine also offers career advice for people like me as well. She suggests finding ways to incorporate your focal points into your job as well as ways to pursue your focal points even if your j-o-b is really just a way of making money to live and not related to your passions at all.

For more information, check out:
http://renaissancesouls.com/

No comments:

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...