Friday, September 14, 2007

Things I Have Learned from My Children

Heidi Saxton over at http://mommymonsters.blogspot.com/ will be hosting a "Catholic Carnival" next week. She asked those who wanted to contribute to write about lessons learned from their children. So, here it goes.

Three Things I Have Learned from My Children


1) To Slow Down
Before I had children, I always moved at a fairly quick pace. When I would go out for a walk, the purpose would be to get exercise so I would go at a good clip. My children changed that. Small children like to take it all in. You take a few steps and you stop and you look at the flowers, at the rocks, at the fire hydrant, at the sewer, and whatever else might be in the path. Then, you take a few more steps and you do it again. Meanwhile, your hands and pockets end up full of treasures like dandelions and smooth stones and sticks.

2) It is OK to Change Your Mind
As adults, we tend to give great value to staying the course. Children feel free to change their mind for any reason. My children hated dogs. They would run screaming whenever one would come near. About a month ago, they decided they wanted a dog! Now we have one and they are enjoying her company. Children know it is OK to grow and change and try new things to see how it all works out.

3) Forgive Quickly
I always found it amazing that I would discipline my children, they would cry, and then come to me for comfort - arms outstretched looking for hugs and kisses which of course, I was happy to provide. There were no hard feelings. The same holds true with how they treat each other. They can be fighting and shouting at each other and five minutes later they are playing happily as if the big fight never happened at all.

I've learned much more from my children and will continue to do so. I am a very different person now than I was seven years ago before they came along. I am less selfish and more patient. They force me out of my shell on many occasions. They make me a better person. Hopefully, I am helping them be better people, too.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...