Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Learning about Quabbin Reservoir

My family and I recently took a trip to visit Quabbin Reservoir where I took this photo. It is a beautiful, peaceful place which provides water for Boston. Yet, amidst that beauty, there is a sadness. Back in 1938, four towns were dismantled and then flooded to create this reservoir. To learn more about what happened, and to help my children learn more about it, we read the following books, both of which I recommend:

Letting Swift River Go, and Quabbin Valley: People and Places (MA) (Images of America)

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

That's a beautiful picture. We have Letting Swift River Go. I'd like to check out the other book. My children have never been to Quabbin. Maybe this spring or summer I can take them. Thanks for posting this.

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...