Monday, May 24, 2010

Wrapping up my Art Classes

Today was the last day for my two classes at our Catholic home-school co-op. I was teaching two art/history classes, one for grades K - 6; the second for grades 7-12. I used the Picturing America series - a collection of 40 large, beautiful artworks as the foundation of the class. I would then supplement with historical information about the time period and an art project. This class was definitely a new experience for me, but it was one I really embraced. The kids were great and I love both art and history so I was enthusiastic about the material and enjoyed the prep work and research each week. For their last homework assignment, I had the older kids write about what picture they liked most, which they liked least, and what project we had done over the course of the year they enjoyed the most. I read their responses this afternoon. While some of them may have been just doing the assignment because they had to, I got the sense that almost everyone had something to take away from the class, something that hopefully they will remember for a while.

I had always wanted to teach a class like this, integrating art and history, and I am so thrilled that I got a chance to do it. My life looks nothing like I imagined it would when I was a teenager. Yet, in vastly different ways, God has allowed many of my dreams to come true. They just come true in His time and the way He sees fit. If only I would learn to trust that process instead of complaining!

2 comments:

Mary B said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Today we pulled together all the pieces they had saved so I can work on their portfolios. Its a great collection. They'll miss it!

Patrice Fagnant-MacArthur said...

I'm glad the girls enjoyed the class!

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...