Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Potty-training the Autistic Child

By far, my toughest parenting challenge to date (and that is saying something, since there have been a whole host of them) was potty-training my older son. At the time, I had no idea that he was on the spectrum - I just knew that he was a little "different." I tried every tactic I read about, his pediatrician got involved (he was experiencing medical consequences from refusing to poop at all), I spent hours crying (not that that helped, but I just felt so helpless and like such a failure at parenting), and I prayed, and prayed, and prayed some more.

Ultimately, a year and a half into this nightmare, I did a St. Jude Novena that my parish was offering - nine days of Masses with that as my intention. I think God finally took pity on me. About a month and a half later, at the age of three and eight months, he woke up one day and started using the potty and never looked back.

I know compared to many children on the spectrum, that wasn't old at all. But once again, this was my first child and I didn't know that he was on the spectrum, and I was trying desperately to succeed at parenting, and the whole experience was not one I would ever want to repeat.

Thankfully, for those who do know that their child is on the spectrum, there are resources and strategies available. I came across this helpful article today: Potty Training the Autistic Child.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...