Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Trusting in God's Generosity

Last Thursday, I had the rare opportunity of having a few hours to myself. I had the pleasure of stopping by the Mother of God Dominican Monastery in West Springfield, MA and spending some time in adoration. When I was leaving, I lit a candle, and made my way to the offering box.

The suggested donation for a candle was $2. No problem. . . Until, that is, I opened my wallet and discovered that all I had was one 20 dollar bill. I unzipped my change purse and was greeted with a collection of pennies. I ruefully remembered I had put all my silver change into a parking meter the previous Saturday.

What to do? I now had two choices. I could either walk way, trusting that God would understand I had fully intended to make the donation when I lit the candle (which I am sure He would have), or I could drop the $20 into the box. I debated with myself for a moment, then folded up the $20 and slid it in. "God will repay me," I thought. Somehow, He always does. I then didn't think much more about it.

Well, earlier this week - I got an unexpected check in the mail for $3.29. It wasn't the full amount, but I smiled when I got it, knowing that God was indeed paying me back. Well, today I got another unexpected check for $20! God gave me back the full amount with interest! Thank you, God!

I can't tell you how many times I've had this happen in my life. I never try to "test" God, and if the money doesn't come back it doesn't come back (life isn't about money, after all), but I have learned to trust in God's generosity. This was but another example of it playing out in my life (perhaps so I could share this testimony with all of you.)

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...