Sunday, March 26, 2006

Too busy to pray?

I opened up the local section of my newspaper today to find this quote from Mother Teresa staring at me:

If you are too busy to pray, you are too busy!

I know that for me, prayer is the foundation of my life. It centers me, keeps me grounded, keeps me sane, and keeps me in touch with my creator. On days when I don't have the opportunity to say my morning prayers, my day feels all out of whack. The time I spend in prayer is probably the best investment I can make in my day.

One of my favorite prayers is the Rosary. I finally got a page up on my website on How to say the Rosary. My mother taught me the rosary when I was a little girl. She had me say one decade for each year of school I was in until I got to fifth grade when I could say the whole thing. My mother and I always said the rosary together every day until I got married, and I have said it myself every day since. It is so meditative and calming. I recommend it to everyone!

The Rosary Novena featured in the book link below is an extremely powerful prayer. It is fifty-four days of rosaries combined with other prayers. I have turned to this novena at times in my life when I needed to make major life decisions, such as deciding to get married and choosing employment. I have said it when we were selling our home and purchasing a new one. Most recently, I said it to help my nephew who had gotten into some legal trouble. This novena has never failed me. It has given me courage when I had none, and created miracles when we desperately needed them. I haven't always gotten an answer immediately, but an answer does always come. I consider it my "novena of last resort." When I feel completely overwhelmed by a situation, this is the prayer I turn to.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...