Friday, December 28, 2007

The Value of a Few Minutes a Day

As a writer, I make Writer's Digest part of my required reading. In the February 2008 issue, they have a great article by Bill O'Hanlon on "Baby Steps." The point of the article is that it is possible to write a novel by writing one page in 15 minutes five times a week. I have often dreamed of writing a novel (what writer doesn't secretly have that ambition?). While the perfect idea hasn't come to me yet, this is a way of thinking about a novel that seems less time-consuming and more doable.

While I haven't written a novel yet, I do put this practice of spending small chunks of time to get things done to work in my life. For example, I finally finished the hand-sewn quilt I have been working on for the last 3 1/2 years. This was accomplished in one-hour blocks every week or so. I could have abandoned the project many times, thinking that I would never get it done, but I kept at it and I had a lovely present to give my husband Christmas morning. Even big projects can be accomplished when done in small portions.

Is there something you have been putting off because you simply feel you don't have enough time? Why not try to set aside just a few minutes a day to work at it? Do something that moves you closer to your goal. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...