Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ann Patchett and Catholic Fiction

I am a member of the Catholic Writer's Guild. As a member of that group, my eyes have been opened to the value of Catholic fiction. I've always enjoyed novels by and about Catholics because I feel like I can relate to the characters, but I had never really considered the challenges of getting Catholic fiction published, or the fact that unlike Christian fiction, it doesn't have its own shelf at the local Barnes and Noble.

The September 2008 issue of US Catholic features Ann Patchett, a Catholic novelist who falls squarely in that genre of "Catholic Fiction." In the interview, she talks about how her Catholic faith has informed her writing. Her two most recent books are the best-seller Bel Canto (P.S.) which has been translated into 30 languages and has sold more than 1 million copies, and her newest book Run, a suspense novel that takes place all on one day.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...