Friday, October 10, 2008

My weekly lesson in humility

I've been very fortunate to hook up with a great local group of Catholic homeschoolers. We get together on Monday for a homeschooling co-operative in which our children take classes (and we take turns teaching). On Fridays we get together for a group play date - all the kids get to play and the moms do a Bible Study / Book Club where we get to discuss things important to our homeschooling and mothering lives. I love getting together with them and my children love getting together with the other kids, but I am always faced with the fact that I have nothing to add to the conversation. They all have more children than me so it isn't like I can offer any parenting suggestions. They are better Catholics than I am. And, they have been homeschooling longer. So, every now and then, I try to interject a comment to illustrate that I really am listening and trying to contribute, but I know that I'm coming up horribly short.

I learn so much from their experience and wisdom, and at the same time, I get my weekly lesson in humility. In a lot of ways I feel like I did when David was a baby and I first joined the playgroup at my parish. There were all these older moms who actually knew what they were doing with a child! It took a good two years and a few new members with children younger than my own before I felt like I could help anyone out. Perhaps in time, it will be that way in this group as well. Until then, I am the new girl who doesn't have a clue! :)

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...