Thursday, April 23, 2009

Are Blogs Dying?

At the Catholic Writer's Group I belong to, there has been an on-going discussion of whether blogs are worth the time, whether any one reads them, and whether they actually help advance our careers as writers or just use up time we could spend on more profitable ventures. I agree that blogging may be taking a backseat to social networking such as Facebook and Twitter. I have seen blogging be referred to as the new "old media." After all, we bloggers still tend to write in complete sentences and in more than a few words at a time.

I think that social networking has a lot to offer. I enjoy Facebook and use it as both a tool to keep in touch with friends and promote the Catholic faith. I enjoy blogging, however, and I enjoy reading others' blogs. I keep track of them in my reader and look forward each day to seeing what others are posting about. As much as I enjoy getting quick status updates from my friends on Facebook, I appreciate the time and energy that goes into a blog post. Also, blog posts are open to the world. Anyone can Google a topic that someone has blogged about and find that page. Only my "friends" can view my Facebook links and comments. Therefore, blogs have much more evengelization power. Maybe (I can hope!) one of blog posts can provide a reader just what they need on a given day. Maybe one of my blog posts has made a difference in some one's life. I know that other blog posts have made a difference in mine. So, to all of you who take the time to write your blog posts, I say thank you. And to those of you who take the time to read mine, I extend an even bigger thank you. Without you, I would have no reason to write.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

I believe. blogging, although I can't stand that word, is so much fun! I have met so many new and good friends this way. Women of my Faith and others who are just really good people. I, too, have learned so much and I've had a good laugh too. I've cried and prayed with and for others and asked them to pray with me for some of my needs when noone else was around even though God always is, I think you know what I mean.
It can be a tool of destruction like anything else and we CAN spend too much TIME on them, however, used within reason, I believe that since the computer is here to stay, we need to make use of it in the right way and yes, to evanglize our Faith, etc.

I always wanted to be a writer, even though I am not really good at it. At least in this way, I can afford to have something published! :) Besides, your blog is a new one that I have just started to visit. My good friend is going to update the looks of my blog before long and then you will most likely be on my sidebar.

So...keep blogging "Spiritual Woman!" :)

Patrice Fagnant-MacArthur said...

Thank you for your kind comments!

J said...

I agree with you on the value of blogging. I guess that I don't understand the way that writers think, but as a reader, it seems almost laughable that one could think of twitter or facebook as having the same value. One does not write on twitter. Twitter is for short wit and shallow details. I would never chose to buy a book or magazine based on 140 characters!

But based on this post I will be back to read more, so you've reached at least one more "non-friend".

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

I've been feeling discouraged about my blogging now that my readership is up but I've received yet another rejection from a print media. I'm glad to hear another blogger talking about this and reading the confirmational remarks that yes, our blogs do make a difference.

#OpenBook for March 2024

  Welcome to #OpenBook. I'm joining up with Carolyn Astfalk who hosts an #OpenBook Linkup on CatholicMom.com . Here's what I'v...