Monday, July 05, 2010

Trusting in God when it is hard

I finished my 54 day rosary novena this morning, and then went to morning Mass. I was praying for a friend, but the outcome of those prayers impacts me as well. I have peace, but am also hurting. Sometimes, answers to prayers come in ways that cause us pain temporarily, but God sees the big picture in ways that we can't.

I came across this reflection by Melanie Rigney in Living Faith today. It seemed very relevant.

It's easy to go to God with problems when we already know the answers: Please show me how to be more patient. Help me to resist chocolate. Remind me how good I feel when I go to Mass.

But relying on heavenly guidance is harder in some other situations: I don't understand why my friend had to die. I'm scared of growing old alone. I don't know what I'll do if I don't find a job soon.

At such times, being told to 'turn it over to God' can sound pat and meaningless. But if we have the courage to acknowledge that, truly, God alone can help, that courage in the form of faith will save us. His help may not come in the form we expect or want, but it will come.


I am choosing to trust that God knows what He is doing, even when it is very hard.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...