Thursday, May 05, 2011

On Self-Esteem

This post by my friend Dionna You Have to Decide You Are Worth It hit home for me. Like many women, I have struggled with my self-esteem for as long as I can remember.

From a spiritual perspective, I struggle with balancing "God made me and loves me" with "I am a sinner and worthless." I struggle with pride and the need for humility which I once saw well-defined as not thinking one is better or worse than any one else. I am always comparing myself with other people (usually unfavorably).

I doubt I will ever find a place of comfort with my self-image. True self-knowledge is to see oneself as God sees us. I wonder what God sees when He looks at me?

Yet, we are called to care for ourselves - to treat our bodies as the temples of the Holy Spirit that they are. That in itself should inspire us to value the gifts God has given us and treat ourselves with kindness.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...