Friday, January 20, 2012

Finding Peace in Unusual Places

In the January 2012 issue of St. Anthony's Messanger, Charity Vogel shares a beautiful article on finding peace in cleaning her wood floor: Meditations on a Wood Floor.

She writes:

I center myself while I wipe those floorboards. I focus my thoughts, and oftentimes a decision or two comes to me in that time of concentration as well. Great monastics have taught for centuries that work can be prayer; that, in fact, it should be if we want to live in the world in the proper manner. The closest I've ever come to understanding what they mean is when I'm bent over a bucket, rinsing out my rag for another swipe. Ora et labora. Work and pray. Pray and work.

Peace and prayer can be found in unusual places - in the chores and activities that fill up our daily lives. The rhythmic, repetitive motions of many chores, such as washing dishes, or folding laundry, can be very soothing at times and allow the mind to focus and pray. Sometimes, we simply must find peace where we can!

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...