Thursday, May 28, 2015

Year #7 of Homeschooling Done!

Today wrapped up this year of homeschooling for us. It's hard to believe that David just finished 8th grade and we are (gulp) getting ready to homeschool high school in the Fall. Honestly, I feel as ill about doing that as I did jumping off the road well-traveled and starting homeschooling all those years ago. I did give him the option of attending a traditional high school like his friends are doing next year (I'm going to miss those young, men as much as my boys will - they have been blessed with wonderful friends on this homeschooling journey), but he wasn't interested. It was probably a wise decision on his part. He knows his stress level and it probably would have been a disaster. I said a lot of prayers for him to make the right decision so I need to trust that God is part of this process as well and that somehow, it will all work out okay. The plan is to have him take three acting classes next year so that he has the opportunity to be with other teenagers often. I also hope to get him to volunteer at our local library.

As for Isaac, who just finished Grade 7, I've been praying for him as well. We are trying to get him into a new alternative high school that's opening in a neighboring community next year for a couple days a week, but we shall see what happens. Like his brother, he has no real interest in going to a "traditional" high school, but would like to have a school-type experience so I think this would be a good fit for him. He'd still be a homeschooler but he would get to take classes with other young people and expand his educational horizons (and maybe there would be someone to help him tackle Geometry. I've done Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 with him, but Geometry scares me). We've submitted the application but God is in charge and I just have to wait and see how this all plays out.

No comments:

How to Pray for Your Adult Children

  When our children become adults, our relationship with them changes. Even if they continue to live in our homes, in most cases, our role...